The Sydney Film Festival gave a preview of 25 films from its first line up for 2012. This first announcement comprises 25 titles including 22 Australian premieres, 15 features and 10 documentaries, as well as some of the top prize-winning films from Sundance, Rotterdam and Berlin.
Today’s announcement includes the winner of the US Dramatic Grand Jury Prize at Sundance Film Festival Beasts of the Southern Wild, the winner of the FIPRESCI prize at Berlin Film Festival Tabu, the winner of the FIPRESCI prize at International Film Festival Rotterdam Neighbouring Sounds and the winner of the World Cinema Grand Jury Prize Documentary at Sundance, The Law In These Parts.
There’s talks of Iranian filmmaker and SFF 2011 honouree Mohammad Rasoulof coming out for the festival already, for his film We are just intrigued by the zombie comedy Harold’s Going Stiff.
- Beasts of the Southern Wild – Dir: Benh Zeitlin (US)
- Tabu – Dir: Miguel Gomes (Portugal, Germany, Brazil, France)
- Neighbouring Sounds – Dir: Kleber Mendonça Filho (Brazil)
- The Loneliest Planet – Dir: Julia Loktev (US, Germany)
- Rampart – Dir: Oren Moverman (US)
- Once Upon a Time in Anatolia – Dir: Nuri Bilge Ceylan (Turkey)
- Faust – Dir: Alexander Sokurov (Russia)
- Harold’s Going Stiff – Dir: Keith Wright (UK)
- A Simple Life – Dir: Ann Hui (Hong Kong)
- A Royal Affair – Dir: Nikolaj Arcel (Denmark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Germany)
- Goodbye – Dir: Mohammad Rasoulof (Iran)
- Barbara – Dir: Christian Petzold (Germany)
- Beauty – Dir: Oliver Hermanus (South Africa, France)
- Monsieur Lazhar – Dir: Philippe Falardeau (Canada)
- Some Guy Who Kills People – Dir: Jack Perez (US)
- The Law In These Parts – Dir: Ra’anan Alexandrowicz (Israel)
- Woody Allen: A Documentary – Dir: Robert Weide (US)
- Crazy Horse – Dir: Frederick Wiseman (US/France)
- Under African Skies – Dir: Joe Berlinger (US)
- Maori Boy Genius – Dir: Pietra Brettkelly (New Zealand)
- Side By Side – Dir: Chris Kenneally (US)
- El Gusto – Dir: Safinez Bousbia (France, Algeria, Ireland, UAE)
- First Position – Dir: Bess Kargman (US)
- Golden Slumbers – Dir: Davy Chou (France/Cambodia)
- Searching for Sugarman – Dir: Malik Bendjelloul (Sweden/UK)
A full look at the films can be found on the official site.